Now, I’m one for a cost-effective meal. And if the Big Ol’ Chili Pasta Cookup is one thing, its cheap. The ingredients are easy to source and won’t send you broke. My Mom used to make this to feed all the hungry mouths in the house, and she passed the recipe onto me when I moved out of home – and boy has it come in handy since. I hope you can get the same use out of it as the generations in my family has.
Big Ol’ Chili Pasta Cookup
You will need
- 1 pound ground beef
- 15 ounce can of beans: red kidney beans, black beans or red beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 4 ounce can green chili peppers, drained and diced
- 3/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup dried elbow macaroni
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
Cook the beef and onion in a large skillet until the meat is brown and the onion is tender.
Add in the undrained tomatoes, uncooked macaroni, beans, tomato sauce, chile peppers, garlic salt and chili powder. Bring to the boil, and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover with a lid and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the macaroni is tender, and stir frequently.
Remove from the heat and sprinkle the mixture with the cheese – make it generous! Cover for 2 minutes so the cheese can melt into the mixture. And its as simple as that.